“Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”
1 John 1:8–10 (ESV)
8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
In a word, live together in the forgiveness of your sins, for without it no human fellowship, least of all a marriage, can survive. Don't insist on your rights, don't blame each other, don't judge or condemn each other, don't find fault with each other, but accept each other as you are, and forgive each other every day from the bottom of your hearts.
“Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness.” Corrie Ten Boom
“We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. We who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
You might want to ask each other some of the following questions:
- Where have you seen God at work in your life in the past week/month?
- How did you experience God’s presence through your rhythms?
- How have you been shaped by the rhythms?
- What differences did the rhythms make to those around you?
- What is the Spirit stirring and wanting to grow in you in this season?
- What unhealthy rhythms or habits have you adopted and what practices will help you refocus on Jesus?
- What is one thing you like about the Rhythm of Forgiveness and why?
- What has been an obstacle to Forgiveness?
- Who is the hardest to forgive and who is the easiest? Why do you think that is?
- How can Forgiveness make us into a loving family?
- What is one thing you learned about Forgiveness this week? After listening to the rhythm podcast what was new to you or what changed your view?
- How do you think practicing Forgiveness will help you follow Jesus?
- What is a small way this week you can incorporate this rhythm in your life?
- Is there anyone you need to forgive?
- What way can the group help you practice this rhythm?