Rhythms Podcast with Becky Dominik
"We are so afraid of silence that we chase ourselves from one event to the next in order not to have to spend a moment alone with ourselves, in order not to have to look at ourselves in the mirror."
“In a noise-polluted world, it is even difficult to hear ourselves think let alone try and be still and know God. Yet it seems essential for our spiritual life to seek some silence, no matter how busy we may be. Silence is not to be shunned as empty space, but to be befriended as fertile ground for intimacy with God.”
"In our worried, overfilled lives, it is clear that we are usually surrounded by so much outer noise that it is hard to hear our God when he is speaking to us. We have often become deaf, unable to know when God calls us and unable to understand in which direction he calls us."
For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
I know that you are Abraham's descendants. Yet you are looking for a way to kill me, because you have no room for my word.
“The Lord said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.’ Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.” 1 Kings 19:12
“But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.” Luke 5:16
“Be still and know I am God.” Psalm 46:10
You might want to ask each other some of the following questions:
- Where have you seen God at work in your life in the past week/month?
- How did you experience God’s presence through your rhythms?
- How have you been shaped by the rhythms?
- What differences did the rhythms make to those around you?
- What is the Spirit stirring and wanting to grow in you in this season?
- What unhealthy rhythms or habits have you adopted and what practices will help you refocus on Jesus?
- What is one thing you like about Silence and why?
- What has been an obstacle to practicing silence?
- How can silence free you and from what?
- What is one thing you learned about Silence this week? After listening to the rhythm podcast what was new to you or what changed your view?
- How do you think silence will help you follow Jesus?
- What is a small way this week you can incorporate this rhythm in your life?
- What way can the group help you practice this rhythm?
Rhythms Book List